The Learning Resource Center (LRC) connects Mason’s multilingual students to services and resources to improve their English language and academic skills.
The LRC, in Room 1305 of the Global Center on the Fairfax Campus, provides:
- Tutoring (English language and designated Pathway Program content areas).
- Workshops for English grammar, pronunciation, writing, vocabulary, test prep.
- Individual and group study areas, including multi-media centers.
- A library of graded ESL readers, dictionaries, and other reference materials.
- Testing of oral English language proficiency for Mason international graduate teaching assistants (GTA).
- Access to technology, including computers, learning software, printer/copier/scanner
Tutoring services are available to any Mason student Monday through Friday, throughout the spring, summer, and fall semesters.
It encompasses a range of skill areas, including:
- Writing: Paper organization, developing thesis statements and supporting arguments, grammatical accuracy, paraphrasing/summarizing, vocabulary selection, and proper use of citations.
- Speaking: Pronunciation, oral grammar, fluency, discourse competency, and presentation skills.
- Listening: Strategies to increase comprehension in the classroom.
- Reading: Tools to identify key themes and terms in academic texts.
LRC content tutors are available to help INTO Mason Pathway students in designated courses that might be challenging due to the complex nature of the material. These courses include:
- Data analytics.
Students can set up an account through the WConLine scheduling system, then arrange appointments for tutoring sessions.
If you have not used this scheduling system before, choose "Click here to register" to create an account. Then, log in and select "LRC Programs and Assessments" in the drop-down menu.